Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Fact Checking
It is pretty frustrating that newspaper articles are trying to be so provocative. It almost seems that because journalists push it so far that people are giving up on the newspaper all together. Newspapers are notorious for nonfactual information and are now having their lowest ratings. People have turned to doing their own research and fact checking. In many of the articles I used for my wiki page it was much more difficult to determine inaccuracies because a lot of the information is not set in stone and other information is literally common knowledge that just takes some pointing out because it has been forgotten or overlooked. Some things that have been fact checked and I have read in many different places are the statistics on distances people travel in their average car trip. Those surveys could have been inaccurate but surveys usually try to be as accurate as they possibly can. It is virtually impossible to get a completely random sample. Other facts, such as the emissions of each individual country are much more common numbers. It is true that those numbers are probably not a hundred percent on key either but again, government reported so we can only assume that they are somewhere close. A lot of information that I used in this paper came from meetings that I have personally attended. I have partaken in Bike Summit and personally met with some congress people and representatives. It was remarkable when the bill "Complete Streets" got passed. I listened to representatives from the League of American Bicyclists also from company managers of several different bicycle manufacturers. I have attended near a dozen city meetings and have spoken on several occasions asking what changes are in the process and making suggestions to what could be done. Bike lanes in Miami are a huge priority and because of bicycle advocates they are appearing on streets all over the city. Not only does my primary information come from working and partaking in events in the industry, but I go to school to learn the benefits of exercise on the body. Another solid chunk of my information is the most up to date material being taught in classrooms. Classes like Biology of Health, Nutrition and Physiology are fairly factual and reliable sources. Although they are difficult to cite, the professors have PhD's in their fields. I would like to think that my paper is very factual and accurate although there is always some margin of error.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment